Thursday, October 9, 2008

Commercial Countdown, Part 1

So, as everyone is worried about the economy, and as the Dow Jones just dropped another ~700 points today, I've been thinking a lot about how I feel like this my first experience with an economy that isn't strong and when everything isn't about having lots of money and going shopping, etc. And a while ago I was digging around on YouTube and saw some commercials from the 1990s, most of which happened to have been geared toward kids and set in malls or in some way around shopping. It made me think about how most people like me who grew up in the 1980s and 1990s experienced a time when people shopped, and shopped, and shopped, without abandon. Think about it: how many movies from your youth can you think of that were centered around going to the mall or at least had some scene that takes place in a mall? What about Fast Times at Ridgemont High? Uh, Clueless?! How about Mallrats? And there's even Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with Luke Perry and Kristy Swanson.

So I've decided to do a chronology of commercials, going back each year per day until the day of my birth. I have fewer days left for this countdown than years I've been alive, so a few days will have more than one year represented. I hope you enjoy, and that this study in economic prosperity as represented by advertising is interesting to you!

Here's 2008 (pre–Economic meltdown, natch.):

No comments: