Wednesday, September 3, 2008

ISO: One Northern Virginia–area Darkroom That Won't Stand Me Up

So I was all excited that I found a community darkroom through the Ffx. Co. rec centers where you can just pay a flat rate to spend as much time as you want and to develop whatever you want. I call a few times, and apparently you have to talk to this one specific person who only works during the day (and I'm always so busy at work that I forget to call people during the day). So finally, finally, I call yesterday and set up an appointment for tonight. Seemed easy enough. I leave work a little early but I'm still running a little late, so I call the front desk to tell them that I'll be there 20 minutes later. I show up, *unfortunately* interrupt some highschool desk attendants' conversation, and say I'm there for the darkroom. Blank stares. One says to the other "Where's ----? She's supposed to be here to set it up." Other one says "She already went home for the day." I say "I have an appointment, and I just called 20 minutes ago. They knew I was coming." First girl says "Where's [assumed manager]?" and runs around to the back, leaving me there, no explanation... She comes back out, opens a binder, writes something down, and I'm thinking "Oh, hell no, you better not tell me I have to call this specific person during these specific times!" but she walks back around to the back. After a few minutes, the manager comes out and tells me that the person who is supposed to set up the chemicals isn't around and he called her at home, but didn't get an answer. I say it doesn't matter, that I can set up the chemicals myself, and he says he can't let me do it, he doesn't know how to set them up, and there's no one else there who can set them up. I say "Okay, so I called yesterday, made an appointment, drove all the way out here, and you can't let me use the darkroom?" And he says "yes."

I'm beginning to wonder if they even really have a darkroom. I'm totally bummed, and pissed, and irritated that they wasted my time AND that I don't really know of any darkrooms I can use conveniently.

Anyone know anywhere that I can make some contact sheets? Or even better, know anyone who is selling their darkroom equipment so that I don't have to deal with stupid people?

1 comment:

M. said...

Oh BUMMER! Sorry to hear.